Why is MaxSold a safer sale of goods solution in the current COVID-19 environment?
- MaxSold only uses credit card payment methods online
- Items sold have had limited touches
- Only the Seller, MaxSold team, and buyers are in the home (not every person who expressed interest in the event)
- Pickup volumes are smaller than other sales of goods service/stores you may visit
- Easy to maintain social distance
- The volume of surfaces needing to be touched while on site is minimal
Can MaxSold operate safely during the COVID-19 outbreak?
MaxSold was built to be a safe option for people who need the clear a volume of items in a finite time frame with limited personal interaction. With COVID-19, MaxSold has (and continues to) further enhanced our procedures to support delivery of our service to families in need safely. The safety of our customers, team members and communities are our top priority and we have put additional operational safety measures in place (such as extended pickup hours) to limit the volume of people on site at any given time. Like Amazon, social distancing is inherent to MaxSold’s operations.
At this time, we are continuing operations as, unlike a store front, our auctions and timelines are driven by the needs of our sellers who are going through a difficult time in their life (typically moving, downsizing, or settling an estate) and we are choosing to be there for them. We are postponing auctions for those that have the luxury of time. You can learn more about our purpose here: https://maxsold.com/maxsold-purpose
Although our sellers typically have little choice but to have an imminent sale, our bidding community (who bid from the safe comfort of home) can choose whether or not to participate based on their own personal circumstances including those related to COVID-19.
Our process needs only a few team members to catalog an entire home of contents and manage a pickup of just the winning bidders with spaced arrival times across pickup categories. All in all, less than 5-10 people are typically on the property at any given time and can easily support the recommended 6.5 feet of personal space.
Our auctions have less and certainly no more interaction or proximity issues than going to a conventional store.
We are continuing to review the situation as it unfolds and will adapt accordingly. For now we will lead in providing a safe auction process with social distance for a small number of people while allowing our clients to meet their critical timelines for clearing their property.
What should I be doing right now as a member of the MaxSold community to keep safe?
- Wash hands often with soap & water for 20 seconds minimum.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, mouth.
- Avoid physical social contact (i.e., handshakes, etc.).
- Adopt social distancing (~6.5 feet or 2 meters of personal space).
- Avoid contact with frequently touched surfaces.
- Cover coughs/sneezes with a tissue, throw the tissue in the trash, then wash hands (or if no tissues, inside your elbow is a good substitute).
- If you feel you are developing symptoms, contact your local public health helpline.
- Stay home if you feel sick and/or have symptoms.
- Self quarantine for at least 14 days if you have returned from out of country or have been around someone with a confirmed case of COVID-19.
- Respect the safety of those most at risk (seniors; people with serious medical conditions)).
- Refer to CDC guidance for conducting an exposure risk assessment if exposed to someone with confirmed COVID-19.
- Masks, gloves, etc. are believed to be best spared for those who are sick at home or in the hospital.
- Tell MaxSold if you have been exposed or contract COVID-19 so they can alert team members and/or customers who may have been exposed (confidentiality will be maintained).
- Avoid being in close proximity to large groups of people.
- Be kind and sensitive to the problem everyone is facing and aware of your surroundings and online social statements.
- Check if a neighbor needs some help (phone/email/text/shout over the fence).
- Refrain from spreading panic, but feel free to spread common sense!
If I am or will be selling on MaxSold, what should I be doing to keep safe?
- Inform your MaxSold Operations Manager contact if you have concerns for your safety/safety of others regarding your auction so we can work with you to resolve your concerns.
- Sellers are asked to inform their MaxSold Operations Manager of any special and/or unique constraints and/or instructions related to the location for cataloging and/or pickup that are required as part of the COVID-19 operating environment.
- Use Pickup Categories: MaxSold’s process has a built-in function to support the social distancing of buyers via our pickup categories. Using these effectively along with proper pickup resourcing and time windows will ensure buyers trickle in through the pickup instead of all at once.
What happens if there is a community lock-down during my auction?
Depending on the circumstances there are various approaches we can take, most of which would need to be done prior to the auction closing. Each situation may require a unique approach; however, some solutions are:
- Take the auction down and either postpone or cancel it
- Adjust the auction to support its continuance in the lock-down environment
- Alter the online auction timeline
- Adjust the pickup schedule
- Change the scope of the auction (i.e., single lot auction selling to bulk buyers)
Can I take down/postpone my auction if it’s not closed?
If there is a way to adapt the auction and/or pickup to comply with the evolving community constraints, that may be a better option if your timeline is tight. However, yes, this may be the approach if the pickup is likely to be canceled regardless of adaptations.
What if I don’t want people walking through my house?
It always is the best practice to conduct the MaxSold event after everyone has moved out (along with the items they wish to keep). In this new environment, it ensures sellers remain unexposed to those involved in executing and supporting the event.
- If a seller is remaining in the home, we strongly recommend having them be off-site while the cataloging and pickup shifts are executed. Sellers may also wish to expense cleaners for after the event is completed to sanitize the location.
- If a seller must be on-site, they should practice social distancing and/or confine themselves to an area of the home where others will not have to enter.
- Finally, if the seller needs to ensure the fewest number of people enter the home, this can be supported by scoping the auction to fewer lots and/or having them hire a moving company on pickup day to carry items to buyers who would remain outside during the pickup event.
What are the other alternatives for pickup?
- Buyers could be provided the pre-published pickup time(s) depending on the flexibility offered by the seller You may be asked to provide an alternative in case there is an issue with the buyer attending the published pickup date/time (typically rare, however, with COVID-19 a higher likelihood).
- Buyers who cannot attend pickup due to COVID-19 for everyone’s health and safety will be refunded
What if the COVID-19 affects the overall auction result?
In short; it might. Markets change over time and sometimes things like world events, weather, and location (to name just a few) affect the marketplace. Our goal at MaxSold is to deliver a reliable, consistent way to safely capture what the market is prepared to pay at that moment. This allows our clients to clear the house in a timely manner. The time limits our clients face are typically dictated by events larger than the value of the things they need to clear. Events choose the time frame, and MaxSold delivers the best results we can within that framework.
What if I feel ill during the bidding process or after the auction closes?
We are removing bids from bidders that contact us due to being in isolation for the 14 days or with health concerns. For any bidder that can not attend the pickup, we are asking them to:
- Send someone else (including a 3rd party shipper if available to you)
- Support an alternative pickup date (provided the Seller can support)
- Contact MaxSold about other options at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 1-833-629-7653 Ext. 1
What should I be prepared for as I bid with MaxSold in this unique environment?
Unique constraints and/or instructions will be documented in the Pickup Information and/or Terms & Conditions tabs within the auction. Ensure you can abide by these prior to bidding. These may include (but are not limited to) activities such as hand washing, questioning, etc. prior to gaining access to your items at the pickup location (which may include buildings where at-risk populations reside).
Be prepared for all pickup category times to be strictly enforced to support social distancing and the overall health and safety of the seller, team, and other buyers patiently waiting for their opportunity to get their items. MaxSold will be increasing the pickup time to support social distancing and lower volumes of buyers on site at any given time. For the safety and peace of mind of all, please be respectful of the pickup times and categories.